Certified General Real Estate Appraiser Position – Columbus, OH
- Independently prepares market value appraisals on less complex real estate assets with review by an Executive Managing Director or Managing Director (one of whom must be MAI).
- Prepares real estate appraisal reports from start to finish on lesser-complex properties, including all Appraiser responsibilities as well as performing detailed appraisal analysis in order to value real estate.
- May mentor trainees and/or develop new client relationships.
- Identifies value to be estimated by studying appraisal request, problem to be solved, and scope of the project, such as, mortgage financing, insurance replacement cost calculation, estate valuation, tax appeals, equitable distribution, corporate employee relocation, investment, or sale; identifying property characteristics.
- Determines valuation method by selecting approach and techniques for valuing property, i.e., cost, direct sales comparison, and income capitalization; identifying property characteristics and attributes.
- Researches and analyzes property information by collecting, verifying, and analyzing data regarding inventory of competitive properties, sales and listings, vacancies and offerings, absorption rates, demand studies, social, economic, governmental, and environmental characteristics, restrictions, encumbrances, covenants, contracts, declarations, special assessments, ordinances, cost and depreciation, income/expense and capitalization rate, history of ownership, and use of the property; conducting analyses and studies, e.g., land utilization, supply and demand, economic feasibility, highest and best use, marketability, development, litigation support; searching databases; inspecting property; interviewing people in a position to understand the property.
- Prepares appraisal report by describing physical and economic property characteristics, appraisal procedures used, and information analyzed; disclosing extraordinary assumptions, and hypothetical and limiting conditions; presenting supportive reasoning.
- Maintains organizational reputation by conforming to the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP); keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by tracking current real estate values and property development potential, including land use restrictions; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations for the purpose of conducting accurate appraisals.
- Contributes to overall organizational goals by adding to database, specializing in niche real estate markets, mentoring trainees, and engaging in client development.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- No formal supervisory responsibilities in this position.
- Provides informal assistance such as technical guidance, and/or training to coworkers.
- May lead project teams and/or plan, and supervise assignments of lower level employees.
- Bachelors Degree (BA or BS) from four-year college or university required.
- A minimum of (5) years commercial appraisal experience. Specific experience with special-purpose properties (i.e. gas stations, car washes, hospitality, etc)
- (3) years commercial appraisal review experience and/or institutional review experience is a plus.
- Must have General State Certification/License.
- MAI designation preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to provide efficient, timely, reliable and courteous service to customers.
- Ability to effectively present information.
- Requires average knowledge of financial real estate terms and principles.
- Complete understanding of approaches to value of real estate assets.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Ability to solve problems involving several options in situations.
- Requires advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
- Must be proficient in Argus, MS Word and MS Excel.
- Good writing skills.
- Decisions made with thorough understanding of procedures, company policies, and business practices to achieve general results and deadlines.
- Responsible for setting work unit and/or project deadlines.
In addition to a great compensation package and extremely competitive production splits, Specialty Valuation Group offers employees:
- 401 (k) Retirement Program
- Healthcare Insurance Program
- Dental Insurance Program
- Fun, high-energy work environment
- Professional development
- Significant opportunity for advancement